Baldwin’s Top 10 Holiday Needs
The holiday season is in full force and Baldwin is alive with festive decorations and inspirational volunteers. We get many calls this time of year about how people can support our mission of feeding, clothing, educating and empowering the disadvantaged of Pontiac. So we created the following:
TOP 10 LIST OF HOLIDAY NEEDS
10. Toilet Paper– Each holiday food package will come with four rolls of toilet paper. Our cupboards are bare.
9. Office Volunteers – Our phones are ringing off the hook with people looking for assistance. We need help answering the phones. Training is provided.
8. New Gifts for Teens (girls and boys)-We are committed to helping 300 families with new gifts for Christmas. Our holiday store allows parents to “shop” for items that their families will like. Teens are hard to buy for so donations tend to be light for that age group. Gift cards are also welcome.
7. Recipes for Green Top Cookbook– The Birmingham Farmers Market is preparing a cookbook that will benefit Baldwin’s Green Tops program. Healthy recipes are needed.
6.Underwear and Socks– New underwear and socks are needed for all ages and genders for the Holiday Store. Gently used thermal underwear and socks are the top requested items at the Clothing Closet.
5. Peanut Butter and Jelly– We put peanut butter, jelly and a loaf of bread in every Holiday Food Basket. It is the go to meal when the cupboards are bare. It requires no refrigeration and doesn’t need to be heated up. Also a good source of protein. The price of peanut butter has gone up so there are not as many donations.
4. Coats and Boots– Gently used coats and boots are desperately needed in the clothes closet. The temperatures are dropping and many who spend lots of time outdoors, such as the homeless need warm coats and boots. New coats and boots are also desired for our Holiday Store.
3. Silent Auction Items– Trinity Episcopal in Farmington Hills is having a Jazz Concert on December 28th with world renown guitarist Randy Napoleon. Items for the Silent Auction are needed.
2. Turkeys– We need 300 frozen turkeys for distribution on December 20th. We were short at Thanksgiving and had to purchase them the day before. Help us have 300 on hand.
1. Cash– Try as we might, there are always loose ends to tie up and the easiest way to put everything together is to go to the store and purchase items that are needed at the last minute. Unrestricted monetary donations are always helpful. You can donate online at www.baldwincenter.org.
Donations are accepted everyday at 212 Baldwin Ave. Pontiac, MI 48342. Call 248.332.6101 for further information. Holiday Store items are needed by December 14th and Holiday Food Basket Items are needed by the morning of December 19th.